Corn rootworm (CRW) are an aggressive and highly adaptive pest that can challenge the best insecticide and seed trait products available to growers. University and industry experts have long recommended, as part of good integrated pest management (IPM) programs, the use of multiple tactics to manage corn rootworm populations to reduce the impact they can have on root damage and corn yields.
The FMC portfolio of products provide excellent tools to allow growers to employ tactics that control CRW at multiple stages of its life cycle. The combination of Steward® EC insecticide for corn rootworm adults followed by an in-furrow insecticide (see table below) the following spring provides a strong, two-step approach to reducing the impact of CRW on a grower’s bottom line.
FMC Two-Step CRW Management Program: Field corn, popcorn (CA label pending), seed corn.
Step 1: Apply Steward EC insecticide @ 10.0 – 11.3 fl. oz./A for control of adult CRW, in corn at the proper timing for optimum control in July or early August in year one, prior to peak adult egg laying.
Step 2: The following spring, apply one of the following in-furrow insecticides at the rate range listed below at-plant to corn planted in the same field as where Steward EC insecticide at the minimum rates listed in Step 1 was applied the previous season.
CRW Use Rate*
(based on 30-inch row spacing)
8.5 – 17.0 fl. oz./A
9.0 – 17.0 fl. oz./A
9.1 – 18.3 fl. oz./A
8.0 – 16.0 fl. oz./A
When growers follow this two-step approach to managing CRW, FMC is confident in the performance of this program. If CRW larvae reach levels where at least five or more larvae are found per root mass, as well as economically damaging levels of feeding and significant root pruning (>0.75 node injury score) and potential lodging is immanent, FMC will provide up to $20.00 per acre to the grower. This assurance payment can be used toward a rescue application for larvae control during the current season or for an application of Steward EC insecticide for controlling the adults later in the season.
- Must use minimum use rates listed in the guidelines above.
- Regular weekly scouting by a crop consultant or field advisor is required to monitor insect populations to optimize the application timing of Steward® EC insecticide and to determine the actual level of control. Scouting reports from the previous season are required to document the timing and population level of CRW adults present through the egg-laying period.
- Products must be applied according to label use directions or 2(ee) recommendations.
- An FMC representative must be notified within five days of determining an issue and allowed to assess the damage prior to any action taken or settlement agreement being made.
- Grower must provide proof of Steward EC insecticide and in-furrow product purchases and quantities to allow the FMC representative to match up appropriate acres for the two-step program and be able to document via application records and scouting reports that they were applied to the fields in question.
Program Period: July 1, 2022 – July 1, 2023
Program Geography: U.S.
Claim Submission Deadline: Contact your FMC representative within five business days of identifying a problem to allow for action to be taken in order to remedy the situation as efficiently as possible.
PROGRAM RULES & CONDITIONS
- FMC reserves the right to change any or all features of this program at any time.
- Assurance benefit is for product costs only. Application and other related costs are excluded from assurance payments.
- An authorized FMC representative must be notified of a claim within five business days of identifying a problem. FMC must have a reasonable opportunity to inspect prior to any additional product applications. The authorized FMC representative must confirm inadequate product performance.
- Proof of purchase is required. Only FMC-branded products purchased from FMC authorized distributors or retailers and reported by electronic reporting methods are eligible for payment under this program.
- Maximum payment of $20.00/A per year for the program period.
- Only product purchased for resale to growers is eligible for payment under the terms of this program.
- FMC reserves the right to audit all claims. Misreported sales of any type are a clear violation of this program and will be subject to audit and possible forfeiture of any and all program benefits.
- FMC is in no way liable or responsible for any grower failure to pay the retailer.
Capture LFR insecticide, Capture 3RIVE 3D insecticide, Ethos XB insecticide/fungicide and Ethos 3D insecticide/fungicide are Restricted Use Pesticides. Always read and follow all label directions, precautions and restrictions for use. Some products may not be registered for sale or use in all states. FMC, the FMC logo, 3RIVE 3D, Capture, Ethos, LFR and Steward are trademarks of FMC Corporation or an affiliate. ©2021 FMC Corporation. All rights reserved. Version 1, 2022-FFP-ASSURE-CORN-ROOTWORM-IN FURROW 09/21